Primary

LETG Bike Sale is May 4 in Longmeadow

LONGMEADOW, MA – The Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group (LETG) and the Family Bike Shop are holding their 6th annual Bike Sale from 8:30-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 4 at the Longmeadow Community House, located at 735 Longmeadow St. The sale will feature bikes, bike accessories, parts, car racks, and more.

To participate in the sale, people may drop off their used road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, cyclocross bikes, kids bikes, car racks and cargo boxes, and child carriers (trailers, tag-a-longs) at the Community House on Friday, May 3 from 5:30-8 p.m. All bikes should be in good working condition with tires properly inflated.

The bikes will be available for purchase by cash or check on May 4 during the sale, and people will be notified if their bike was sold or not. If their bike sells, people will be offered 100% of the sale price in store credit at Family Bike, or 85% of the cash, with the remaining 15% going to the LETG to help further its mission to promote biking and a green environment. Any unsold and unclaimed bikes will be donated to the Kensington School in Springfield, MA.

Dr. William Harbison, of the LETG, said it’s been exciting to see enthusiasm for the sale – and the sale itself – grow over the years. He noted people from Longmeadow have come to expect the bike sale, and it’s something they look forward to every spring.

“Social media has helped a lot, and the PTO in Longmeadow has been helpful in getting the word out in their newsletter,” Harbison said. “The reason I think it’s expected is that many people have called and asked when the bike sale is this year. We got a call from a gentleman who had lost his wife, had a stroke and a pacemaker, and used a walker. He had three bikes he wanted to sell and asked if we would pick them up, which of course we would.”

Harbison said more than 100 bikes were sold at last year’s event, and he’s hoping this year’s bike sale will result in 125-150 bikes being sold. He added that the number of unsold or donated bikes that are given to students at Kensington School in Springfield, MA also continues to grow. “They are so grateful, and we are told (the bikes) are immediately distributed,” Harbison said. The funds generated from the bike sale that go to the LETG are also put to good use.

“The LETG does not make much money off the bike sale, but all the funds we do get are put to good causes like prompting Complete Streets, sponsoring conferences on climate change, and our group was instrumental in pushing Longmeadow into being a Green Community.”

Founded in 2012, the LETG describes itself as “a small group of concerned citizens who seek to help our community become more environmentally sustainable, energy efficient, and resilient to future energy shortages.” For more information on the 6th annual LETG Bike Sale in Longmeadow, visit www.facebook.com/LongmeadowEnvironmentalTransitionGroup.

– By Jeff Hanouille/Longmeadow News