Primary

Annual Bike Sale Planned for May 5

LONGMEADOW, MA – The Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group (LETG) and the Family Bike Shop will host their 5th Annual Bike Sale 2018 at the Longmeadow Community House from 8:30-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 5.

To participate in the bike sale, people may drop off their used road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, cyclocross bikes, kids bikes, car racks and cargo boxes, and child carriers (trailers, tag-a-longs) at the Community House on Friday, May 4 from 5:30-8 p.m. All bikes should be in good working condition with tires pumped.

The bikes will be available for purchase by cash or check on May 5 during the sale, and people will be notified if their bike was sold or not. If their bike sells, people will be offered 100 percent of the sale price in store credit at Family Bike, or 85 percent of the cash, with the remaining 15 percent going to the LETG. Any unsold and unclaimed bikes will be donated to a Springfield school.

Dr. William Harbison, of the LETG, said the event has not only been well-received in Longmeadow, it’s become expected.

“People really look forward to it,” Harbison said. “It’s a great asset for the community to be able to sell used bikes, and buy them too. So I get people all the time asking when the sale will be.”

Harbison said about 100 bikes were sold at last year’s sale, which he thinks is a good number to try for again this year since the event is run by all volunteers, and it takes time to process each bike.

While the specific Springfield school in which the unclaimed and unused bikes will be donated to has not yet been announced, Harbison said about 80-90 bikes have been donated over the last four years, calling that a “pretty big deal.”

Harbison also noted how the sale helps the LETG with their budget. Founded in 2012, the LETG describes itself as “a small group of concerned citizens who seek to help our community become more environmentally sustainable, energy efficient, and resilient to future energy shortages.”

“We are a green community kind of group,” Harbison said. “We push solar and efficient electric lights. We also pushed the idea of complete streets to the Select Board, and now there’s a bike lane on Converse Street. We really want to encourage biking in Longmeadow.”

For more information about the Bike Sale, find the Longmeadow Environmental Transition Group on Facebook.

– Article by Jeff Hanouille